Health and travel (Santé Voyage) give medical
advertisement for foreign travelers. keywords are : tourism, edisan, meditravel, malaria,
amaril, yelow fewer, vaccin, health bag, paludisme, fievre jaune, rouen, france.
We are updating the links with all the interesting web sites
concerning tropical diseases. Here are our selection for sites
who speak French and English. If you want to help us register an unknown web site, please
use this registration formular.
Health and Travel in Rouen, is :
- a phone answering service, from 9 AM to 7 PM on weekdays, by a team of doctors trained
to help travellers and physicians in need of up to date information on more than 150
- at present, this free information center receives more than 3000 calls a year (you may
consult our 1996 and 1997 statistics report, in french).
- We are helped by several data bases : Meditravel ©1996-97
ADIMI Marseille, and Edisan©,
conceived by Pr A. Bourgeade and Dr H. Chaudet. and published by CD conseil. The EDISAN program is brought up to date
every 6 weeks. You can take a look at :
- the world map of yellow fewer (vaccination in approved center
only) taken from this program
- maps giving the French break down of malaria infected
countries, or the Who groups.
and France do not give the same advice because they do not classify countries in the same
Who divides the world in 3 zones of countries, wheareas..
France divides the world in 3 groups, according to the
resistance to the treatment. (4 groups in fact where the 0 group's don't need prophylaxis,
because there is no malaria).
Medical advice concerning this disease differs, and should therefore be discussed with
a well informed doctor.
Nevertheless, here are a few hints :
- Malaria is transmitted by mosquitoes. Therefore, one must prevent himself from being
bitten, and that can be done by :
using insecticides for the skin (repulsive creams containing DEET), on the clothes
(containing Pyrethrine), in the air (plugs, insect powder...). Sleeping under a mosquito
net wearing long skirts, trousers, socks, and shirts with long sleeves
- As far as the medical prophylaxis is concerned French doctors advise:
- in the group I countries : chloroquine (100 mg a day, beginning the eve of the departure
and continued 4 weeks after the return)
- In the group II countries : combination of 2 products : chloroquine (100 mg a day),
proguanil (200 mg a day), both beginning 4 to 5 days before the departure and continued 4
weeks after the return.
- In the group III countries : Mefloquine (250 mg a week, beginning 10 to 20 days before
the departure and continued 3 weeks after the return) has a certain number of drawbacks,
for instance it cannot be used by pregnant women and by children under 15 kg, and it must
not be used more than 3 months according to french authority.
- If you want to know more about malaria, please consult the brochure of Dr Alex Barbey (for Doctors).
To ask any question to be ready for travelling you can
|send an Email : .....
|phone to : .............
||33 2 32 88 84 48
|send a fax to : .......
||33 2 32 88 81 28
|or at least write to :
||1 rue de Germont F-76031 Rouen Cedex France